GCN Is it broken? Can I still resolder the Modchip?

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, I soldered the XenoGC (directly).
Now the LED gave me a red color and didnt go away, in conclusion something went wrong.
Now I desoldered (I suck at soldering) the Chip and now a golden contact plate came off.
It still reads original games. But do I have to get a new GC now?
Can I still solder the chip (I wanna do it with wires now)
Unbenannt-1.jpg

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 114997

Make a wire like the red line and join those 2 points, this will fix the damage from pulling the trace.
It would be a good idea to carefully remove that trace that is floating around (blue arrow).
Yeah I used a 8$ Soldering Iron (USB)

Can I just connect the circle to the glob of solder?
Can I fill the hole with solder?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean just point to point

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I GOT SOME NEWS GUYS...
I tried to solder a wire to the point and I wanted to straighten it a bit, and poof. The other contact ripped straight away off the motherboard.
Still fixable ? XD PLS kill me
BEFORE
Unbenannt-1.jpg
AFTER
Unbenan5nt-1.jpg

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the points are coming off the board i wouldnt attempt to re use it, dont forget when the console is switched on and this is attached, the current is running from the console to the chip and back to the console.

if it is this fucked, then your going to risk fucking your cube.

why dont you go through the SD card method.

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if the points are coming off the board i wouldnt attempt to re use it, dont forget when the console is switched on and this is attached, the current is running from the console to the chip and back to the console.

if it is this fucked, then your going to risk fucking your cube.

why dont you go through the SD card method.
I actually already ordered a SD Media launcher.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I GOT SOME NEWS GUYS...
I tried to solder a wire to the point and I wanted to straighten it a bit, and poof. The other contact ripped straight away off the motherboard.
Still fixable ? XD PLS kill me
BEFORE
View attachment 115040
AFTER
View attachment 115039
You can try to carefully scrape some off the coating off the trace near the ripped pad and solder to it, but chances are you will just make things worse.
A tip I read to check if your soldering iron is that if you have rosin core solder, it should be smoking slightly while you're soldering. If it stops smoking immediately before you get a chance to solder it that means your soldering iron is too hot and the rosin core is all burned up.
I use the sponge (damp with water) on my soldering iron holder to cool down the soldering iron slightly, but I still need to unplug it every now and then because it doesn't have a shutoff.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't be so cheap.
That is what happens if you try soldering with something comparable to a lighter hottened nail.

It still looks good enough and recoverable, but if you keep trying hard sure it will end up ready for the dumpster.

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can try to carefully scrape some off the coating off the trace near the ripped pad and solder to it, but chances are you will just make things worse.
A tip I read to check if your soldering iron is that if you have rosin core solder, it should be smoking slightly while you're soldering. If it stops smoking immediately before you get a chance to solder it that means your soldering iron is too hot and the rosin core is all burned up.
I use the sponge (damp with water) on my soldering iron holder to cool down the soldering iron slightly, but I still need to unplug it every now and then because it doesn't have a shutoff.
Don't be so cheap.
That is what happens if you try soldering with something comparable to a lighter hottened nail.

It still looks good enough and recoverable, but if you keep trying hard sure it will end up ready for the dumpster.
I'd say it looks worse than it is, there's still some exposed copper, so just needs cleaning

I can regulate my Soldering Iron I have it on 400°C
Yeah I solder when it stops to smoke is that bad?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can regulate my Soldering Iron I have it on 400°C
Yeah I solder when it stops to smoke is that bad?
Google said:
When soldering surface mount components, a small tip and 600F (315C) should be sufficient to quickly solder the joint well without overheating the component.

When soldering through hole components, 700F (370C) is useful to pump more heat into the wire and plated hole to solder it quickly.
Sounds like 400C is way too much. Also, like with any soldering on small components on densely populated boards, you have to be quick so you don't overheat any components or burn the board.

That's not necessarily bad if you use flux in addition.

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sounds like 400C is way too much. Also, like with any soldering on small components on densely populated boards, you have to be quick so you don't overheat any components or burn the board.

That's not necessarily bad if you use flux in addition.
I dont have any flux :(.
Well I'll try my best, worst case I have to spend 20€ on a GC

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I dont have any flux :(.
Well I'll try my best, worst case I have to spend 20€ on a GC
I suggest you get some. Rosin core solder is fine but most people will say to still use flux. Even cheap flux paste in a box should do the job but I saw someone using rosin core flux in a pen style applicator which seems easier to apply and less messy so that's probably what I would get.
And try not to let all the rosin core burn up before you're done soldering.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The hot glue...was uneeded...That via just connects to a test point pad of sorts. Unless you planned to reinstall a mod chip, it was pretty much fine as it was initially when you removed the mod chip. :P

That's a dead end trace. It leads to a point that isn't used. The via isn't damaged so that trace hasn't been damaged to the point of shorting to the ground plane or anything. There really wasn't a need for you to attempt fixing it any further. Consider yourself lucky. I have a cheap soldering iron too, but I at least tried to get one with an adjuster on it for heat. Not sure how accurate it is, but it is useful for if I need a lower temp for sensitive things. ;)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The hot glue...was uneeded...That via just connects to a test point pad of sorts. Unless you planned to reinstall a mod chip, it was pretty much fine as it was initially when you removed the mod chip. :P
Haha you don't know how well I soldered those points XDDD
A slight push on the wire made it instantly come off.
Trust me, it was more than needed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I heard you like family guy