Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Silly obsessive reason for a post but I'm trying to figure out which one of these is the REAL Aqua wallpaper >.> for almost 10 years I've had the brighter one on my Mac but recently I downloaded a "Complete" set of every Mac desktop ever and much darker Aqua desks were inside...

So does anybody know which one is the ACTUAL desktop? The one on the left is brighter while the one on the right has a darker gamma.

Attachments

• aqua1.jpg
    aqua1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 309

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
What size are the two files in exact bytes?

I think I might have the original Aqua desktop picture on an old Snow Leopard boot drive at home.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
What size are the two files in exact bytes?

I think I might have the original Aqua desktop picture on an old Snow Leopard boot drive at home.

The left one is 425kb with a date of July 28th, 2009
The right one is 1.2mb with a date of November 25th, 2007

So yeah, the darker one is larger in filesize and came out earlier but I don't know.... the gamma just seems off >.> I wish I had the original file from Panther that hasn't been edited or re-released like with Snow Leopard.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Brian is correct.

The one on the left is Panther Aqua Blue.jpg on my Snow Leopard drive, dated July 27, 2009. The inspector window in Preview says it is 425,049 bytes.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Brian is correct.

The one on the left is Panther Aqua Blue.jpg on my Snow Leopard drive, dated July 27, 2009. The inspector window in Preview says it is 425,049 bytes.

You think the gamma difference is from when Apple changed the way colors work for Snow Leopard to make them compatible with other OS's? Basically they re-released the original Aquas in a brighter gamma so they wouldn't need embedded profiles >.>

So even though the Snow Leopard version came later its better to use them as the colors are an accurate representation of what they were on Leopard and earlier..... if that makes sense :p

Reactions: z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.